Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Local Chip

Is there such a thing? Yes, Northern Virginia, there is!

When people ask me questions about eating local the first one is inevitably - where do I start? What do I buy? The Farmer's Market is by far the best place to begin (and at this time of year, the easiest). We have so many to choose from in NOVA and they offer up the best of what Virginia agriculture has to offer - but what happens beyond the market? Most of us have to eat something else besides what is pulled from our local soil. How do we choose what to supplement that bounty with? I want to support local businesses - and our local economy - but how? I want a fresher product from a smaller producer who emphasizes quality ingredients and accountability. I want less time to pass between production and my table. I'd like see less fuel used to get the product to me. There must be something better for me to eat than what is advertised on television. Right?? During my last four years of research I have been greatly encouraged to find that many of my favorite foods are produced and/or grown locally. Why don't I share one that I can't seem to live without - the tortilla chip.

Every time my youngest brother and I get together, someone inevitably says: "Bring on the 'chos!" We'll come up with any reason to make nachos. It just so happens that we have a wonderful producer of tortilla chips and related products in Manassas, VA: Abuelita Mexican Foods. I was introduced to the company by Whole Foods Market. Okay, wait a minute. Don't roll your eyes! I've heard the old "whole paycheck" nickname many times, but truly there is no store with a more comprehensive selection of healthy foods anywhere in our area. Having several Whole Foods stores to choose from around here is very helpful. MOM's Organic Market is another outstanding store, but there is only one in Northern Virginia (and it's worth the trip to Del Ray to check it out.) So, back to the chip...

A friend of mine once said "I can see trying to buy local with veggies and stuff, but I'm simply not giving up my Doritos!" AH! Let me introduce you to the Red Salsa Tortilla Chip! This is by far my kids' favorite chip. Slightly spicy, absolutely addictive and it satisfies my locavore spirit. The bonus? I recognize the ingredients! After my friend's comment, I stopped by 7-11, grabbed a small bag of Dorito's and decided to take a look at what the difference in nutritional makeup actually was.




...on the left is the Dorito's bag





on the right is the Nana's Cocina bag (Abuelita also uses the brand name Casa del Carmen)...






Doritos ingredients: Whole Corn, Vegetable Oil (Corn, Soybean, Sunflower and/or Canola Oil), Salt, Cheddar Cheese (Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Maltodextrin (this is a natural sweetener usually derived from of rice, corn or potato starch), Wheat Flour, Whey, Monosodium Glutamate (a controversial flavor enhancer commonly added to Chinese food, canned veggies, soups and processed meats - when added to a food the FDA requires that it must be listed on the label), Buttermilk, Romano Cheese (Part-Skim Cow's Milk, Cheese Cultures, Salt, Enzymes), Whey Protein Concentrate, Onion Powder, Partially hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed Oil, Corn Flour, Lactose, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Dextrose, Tomato Powder, Spices, Lactic Acid, Artificial Color (Including Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40), Citric Acid, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Red and Green Bell Pepper Powder, Sodium Caseinate (a milk derivative used to provide a dairy flavor as well as a thickening agent), Disodium Inosinate (used commonly together with MSG to create a more savory flavor - derived from a substance found in meat, usually pigs or fish), Disodium Guanylate (used most often in conjunction with disodium inosinate for the same purpose), Nonfat Milk, Whey Protein Isolate, and Corn Syrup Solids.

Red Salsa Tortilla Chips ingredients: Stone ground whole kernel yellow corn, highly refined peanut oil, water, salsa seasoning (tomato powder, salt, sugar, natural flavors, onion, garlic, parsley, jalapeno powder, citric acid, corn starch, annatto extract (a naturally derived coloring from the pulp around the fruit of the achiote tree grown in tropical regions of central and south America), paprika extract, corn syrup solids, and maltodextrin (described above)), and trace of lime.

I corresponded with Abuelita foods and discovered that you can purchase their products at Costco, Wegman's, Bloom and Harris Teeter. More options - even better! Not only can I get a locally produced chip, but I actually minimize the impact on my body (lets face it, chips are in the naughty food catagory): less fat (for more chips in a serving size, by the way), less sodium, and fewer ingredients. Sweet! Actually, spicy.

P.S. Best local salsa EVER: Salsa Las Glorias (click the link to find out which farmer's markets Lily frequents!)









No comments: