Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Maiden Voyage

Here I am starting my first blog.  I really don't have time, but maybe at this point in my new lifestyle (I still don't know how to describe it) I should start to share.  I just feel compelled to.  It's sort of like my Christian faith.  Actually, it's a lot like that:

Friend or acquaintance:  "How did you manage to get through [insert difficulty, life obstacle, hurdle, bump in the road, or other equally nauseating, stressful circumstance here] intact?  You just seem so grounded and peaceful.  How do you do it?"

Me:  "Really?"

Friend or acquaintance:  "Yes, really." 

Me:  "Jesus."

Friend or acquaintance:  "Jesus?"

Me:  "Yep."

Friend or acquaintance:  "So... how, exactly?"

Me:  "Well, ..............."

That's exactly how I would describe my motivation to write this blog.  Some three years back I had a sort of, oh, I don't know, food epiphany.  I didn't ask for it, I wasn't looking for it, it just came in my inbox.  It has translated into a much larger investigation of the environment, my role in it and how it is faring these days, but it is primarily one that involves food.  Now that I am in deep it's influence has made those who interact with me begin to take notice:

Friend or acquaintance:  "What's that?"  They are referencing [insert local food item, organic product, environmentally friendly cleaner or other equally Earth-friendly item].

Me:  "Really?"

Friend or acquaintance:  "Yes, really."

Me:  "That's [insert local food item, organic product, environmentally friendly cleaner or other equally Earth-friendly item]." 

Friend or acquaintance:  "So... why are you eating/buying/using that?"

Me:  "Well................"

There are definite similarities.  And these days, there are not many things (second to talking about Jesus) that bring me as much joy as talking about local and organic food, protecting our resources, sustainable agriculture, etc., etc., etc.

This may end up being really random, as I can't possibly go back to the beginning and start a novel.  So, my little story will be told as I record the goings-on around this evolving household and how we have been impacted forever by those before me who have chosen to share their epiphanies, investigations and discoveries.

On with the testimony...


No comments: